This compot has no added sugar, and makes a perfect addition to your morning breakfast bowl, an after dinner treat, or base for a crumble dessert’. It serves 8.
- 6 apples of your choice, chopped into small chunks, skin on (I choose sweet apples, i.e. Royal Gala, so that I can avoid adding sugar)
- 1 bunch of rhubarb, chopped into small chunks. If you can’t locate rhubarb, add 2-3 extra apples or pears.
- 1/2 orange
- 100g frozen raspberries
1. Grate the zest from the orange and place into a large pot, then squeeze the juice from the entire orange into the pot along with 1/4 cup of water.
2. Place the diced apples and rhubarb into the pot, and place pot on the stove. Bring to a medium-high heat. Once starting to boil, reduce to a simmer and stir until fruit have softened, about 10 minutes. Add additional water if required, to prevent sticking to the pot.
3. Remove compote from the stove, and stir through frozen raspberries. Then, you may choose to blend the compote or leave it chunky!
Note: This can also be prepared in a thermomix or equivalent.
* Breakfast bowl with porridge oats, compote, Greek yoghurt and chia seeds
* Breakfast bowl with Greek yoghurt, compote, 2tbs muesli and 2tbs mixed nuts
* Use as the base of your favourite crumble dessert, served with Greek yoghurt