A delicious, healthy way to enjoy a chicken schnitzel!
- 1 egg, whisked
- ¼ cup Dukkah or Zaatar spice mix (enough to coat chicken)
- 1/4 cup LSA or almond meal
- 2 large chicken breast fillets, halved and butterflied to create 4 thin pieces OR 8 large chicken tenderloins (600g total, 150g/serve)
- 2 cups of diced butternut pumpkin, skin removed
- 1 large carrot, washed and chopped
- 2 cups of cauliflower florets
- 2 bunches of broccolini, halved horizontally
- 1 large handful of snow peas, topped and tailed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Start by steaming the pumpkin, cauliflower and carrot together for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender. Transfer from steamer to a blender, season with salt and pepper, add a dash of milk (optional), and blend to a ‘mash’ consistency. Alternatively, mash the vegetables with a masher or fork in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg in one bowl, and combine the LSA and Dukkah in another bowl.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the egg wash, and then into the LSA and dukkah mix. Coat well.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken fillets to pan and cook on one side for 5 minutes, then turn and cook on the other side for another 5 minutes – until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, steam the green vegetables.
Plate up – divide chicken, mash and steamed greens between 4 serving plates. Drizzle with lemon juice and serve