Considering an Intermittent Fasting program for weight loss? Your meals don’t need to be boring! Try our delicious, comforting chicken and vegetable soup!
- 1L reduced salt liquid chicken stock
- 400g tin of crushed tomatoes
- 1 heaped tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 large chicken breast, halved into two segments of equal thickness (approx 250g)
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 large stick of celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 medium head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1.5 cups of diced butternut pumpkin
- 2 cups of shredded kale leaves
- 1tbs dried Italian herbs
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat 1tbs of olive oil in a soup pot, and add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, until soft.
- Add the zucchini, broccoli and pumpkin to the pot and cover with the chicken stock, tomato paste, tinned tomatoes, dried herbs, and pepper. Bring to the boil, the reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the shredded kale to the soup pot. Cook for 2 minutes or until kale has wilted.
- Meanwhile, poach the chicken breast. Place chicken breast segments in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil on high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Check to see whether your chicken is cooked in the middle, or if it needs a few more minutes. Once cooked, remove and allow to cool before shredding.
- Divide soup into four portions and top with shredded chicken
Note – for ‘non-fasting’ days, enjoy leftover soup with a slice of sourdough!